Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Holiday Spirit


By: Susan Finco, President, Leonard & Finco Public Relations
 
Well, the holidays are here. I’m among those who really, really like the holidays. Kicking things off with Thanksgiving and then cruising into Christmas and New Year’s (with my wedding anniversary on New Year’s Eve). What’s not to like? 

Apparently, if you peruse social media, there’s a lot not to like; a lot of things to be angry about. And to that I say, “Bah Humbug!” There are all sorts of people posting about perceived snubs by people who don’t say “Merry Christmas” or by those who are offended by people who do say “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Hanukah” or whatever holiday they celebrate.
To me, the great thing about America is that it allows for religious freedom. At the heart of it, no matter what our beliefs or religion (or no religion at all), we all pretty much want the same things in life: health, happiness, friends, family and the ability to live our lives in peace. If there’s a day or time of year when we reflect on that and are happy about it, that’s a good thing. There are a lot of REAL problems in the world that have nothing to do with someone saying or not saying "Merry Christmas."

If someone says “Happy Festivus” to me, I’m not offended. I will smile and say thanks. It’s the spirit in which it’s offered that matters. So however you choose to celebrate, I say good for you and I hope you enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: