Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Is Social Media Ruining or Improving Your Olympic Experience?


By: Kristen Paquet, Account Executive, Leonard & Finco Public Relations, Inc.

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about several new apps I found to help elevate my Olympic watching experience as I geared up for the games. Well, here we are, almost a full week into the games and at first, I really liked using the apps – but now I’m not so sure. The same goes with other forms of social media like Twitter and Facebook. Because the U.S. is seeing everything in delay due to the overseas time difference, I find myself dodging tweets and blogs on a daily basis so it won’t spoil any of the Olympic highlights by the time I get to see them.

Case in point: I really wanted to watch the U.S. vs. Korea DPR women’s soccer game yesterday so I set my DVR to record the game so I could watch it when I got home from work. All I needed to do was make it though the rest of day without finding out what the score was before I got the chance to watch the game. Just a few years ago all you had to do was avoid the newspaper or an online story about the outcome of an Olympic event. Today, you have to cover your ears, look at a computer monitor with one eye closed and dodge just about every social media platform out there just to keep some element of surprise going. It’s gotten to the point where not finding out the outcome of a game before I’m ready is my own Olympic sport.

Don’t get me wrong. I have been enjoying using the apps I first wrote about, especially Team USA which has posts from the athletes, a full event schedule and sport highlights. But, I use this app very carefully so I don’t mistakenly tap on an icon that will ruin my day.  

The good news is that I made it through the day without having the soccer game spoiled for me, although there were a few close calls (by the way, USA won). Now I’ll just have to plot my strategy for when they play again on Friday.

So what about you? Do you think social media is improving or ruining your Olympic watching experience? Let me know!

No comments: