Wednesday, March 30, 2011

QR Codes are Pretty Cool

By: Senior Account Executive, Cole Buergi

Quick Response codes, dubbed QR codes, are popping up everywhere and are the latest, fast moving trend for marketers to share information about a product, business or individual.

QR codes have been around for a few years but are skyrocketing in use due to the growing popularity of smart phones, the most convenient tool for people to quickly and easily scan the code.

Not sure what I’m talking about or you're feeling this is too techie for you? Well, I’m sure you’ve seen them. They are popping up everywhere in print ads, in many stores and even on packaging labels.

QR codes look like this:







Yes, this QR code represents me, or at least my contact information. I’m still trying to adjust my ego in regards to being reduced down to a funky looking postage stamp but the uses for this technology are nearly limitless and creating one for yourself, your business or product is simple.

The best part, put a QR code on your business card, packaging or anywhere else the public will see it and you have a direct link back to you, your business or product information.

How easy is it really? Using a smart phone, you simply download your choice of several free QR barcode reader aps. Then you literally take a picture of the image with your smart phone and it launches you to information or a website designated for that code. It really is that simple.

Like I said, pretty cool huh?

I’m curious to learn what creative applications you may be using a QR Code for. Share your thoughts or tell me what you like best about this technology.

Oh yeah, in case you want to check out the Leonard and Finco website, here it is:


1 comment:

kr said...

I am loving that QR codes are becoming more and more popular. I think they give companies so many more options for marketing / PR. However, it's frustrating when my Blackberry's QR Code Reader only works half of the time, but I'm sure improved apps are coming soon!