Friday, September 19, 2014

Finally, I can upgrade


By: Cole Buergi, VP of Business Development, Leonard & Finco Public Relations

Like so many others, I’ve been anxiously awaiting Apple’s launch of the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. 

Granted, I’m not crazy enough, nor do I have the kind of free time, to pull up a lawn chair and perch outside an Apple store for two weeks, wanting to be the first to get my hands on one. Yes, it’s hard to believe people would do this but, on the other hand, there could be worse things in life to waste your time on. In the words of my dad, “At least they’re not out stealing hub caps.”

My enthusiasm stems from the fact that I still have the iPhone 4. I passed on upgrading to the newer version, iPhone 5 or 5s, simply because the changes weren’t significant enough to warrant spending the extra money. Oh yeah, and also because I was still under contract which would have added significantly more cost to upgrade.

But alas, my contract has ended and the new phones are just what I was hoping for. For one, they are bigger which, I hope, also means the keyboard for typing is larger.  My wife giggles at me often for sending her the message, “I love you.” At least, that’s what I intend to type. Instead, because my fat fingers don’t do well on the little keyboard, I often text her, “I live you.” Mis-typed words happen frequently but, thanks to my wife’s keen deciphering abilities, she is surprisingly able to understand most of what I text her.

We are both grateful I’m not a high level government official sending texts to other world leaders. I’m pretty sure my texting errors would have started World War III by now. At the very least, a small border skirmish with Canada.

Besides the increased size, there’s also a better camera, faster processing and a host of new features I’m looking forward to trying out. 

My biggest problem now, besides determining whether I want the 6 or 6 Plus, is waiting the few weeks until they become available locally. Oh well, I’ve waited this long, what’s a few more days going to hurt?  

Are you planning to get the new iPhone? If yes, were you a hold out like me and which do you plan to get? What do you use your phone for, work or purely personal?

No comments: