By: Susan Finco, President, Leonard & Finco Public Relations
There are some things in life that are just worth paying for. It’s true for your personal life. It’s also true in business. I got to thinking about this after several friends had challenging home remodeling experiences and, around the same time, a fellow business owner asked me about a situation they were facing.
All initially thought they could “do it themselves” but, in the end, they realized it was better to pay an expert to do it and do it right. I’ve been there myself. You think you’ll save some money or time and that you know “enough” to get it done. Whether it’s payroll, filing taxes or fixing a leaky pipe; it’s always good to know your limitations. My worth paying for list includes:
- Plumbers. Water. Everywhere. Need I say more?
- Electricians (This one could be a life or death decision. You don’t want to mess with electricity or building codes.)
- Accountants (Worth the price when paying business or personal taxes, doing payroll, filling out government estimating sheets, etc.)
- Lawyers (Ditto for reasons mentioned above. Also in your personal life, pay an attorney for legal issues you may face (wills to lawsuits). Do it yourself generally doesn’t work out well.
- Realtors. Yes, I know a number of people who’ve successfully and quickly bought/sold their own homes. They’re the exception rather than the rule. Find a good realtor and you’ll find you’ll be happier with the outcome.
And of course, being in the PR business, I’d like to say it’s also worth paying for PR services. Yes, you can do it yourself. But, again, unless you truly know what you’re doing, the results usually won’t be what you hoped for or expected. We often receive calls from businesses and organizations that tried it on their own, and realized hiring the right PR service can make a world of difference.
So what are your “it’s worth paying for” services? Agree or disagree with my list? Let us know what you think!