By: Angela Raleigh, Account Executive, Leonard & Finco Public Relations, Inc.
In the day to day hustle and bustle it can be difficult to find the time to stay up-to-date in the PR field. Things are constantly changing! Although keeping up with the industry may seem to be just another thing to add to your to-do list, there are several benefits to staying current.
First, by being informed, you can make better decisions and identify opportunities and challenges earlier in the process. Secondly, staying current will help you build expertise in the industry. This is an invaluable asset that will help you earn trust and respect from people around you. Lastly, knowing what’s going on in your industry will allow you to recognize a change, allowing you to determine how you can best use it to your advantage.
It’s not possible to know everything, but it is possible to develop an expertise. That’s what we as PR pros must do – develop a focus area and consistently learn more about it.
So what are some traditional and social sources you can utilize?
- Mentors are a great resource. Not only can they help you develop in your career, but they open the door to a wealth of knowledge and insight in the industry.
- Join an industry organization. Being a member of an organization provides an opportunity to network with people in your field.
- Take the opportunity to network. Talking face-to-face with people in your industry is a great way to stay on top of industry news and discuss trends.
- Utilize Twitter to find and connect with people in your industry who are in the know. By following industry leaders and organizations, you can stay on top of relevant news and trends.
- LinkedIn is another way to connect with colleagues, trade organizations and industry leaders. Consider joining a group and participate in discussions.
- Blogs are a great source for honest opinions and if you take the time to research your industry blogs, you may come across some that provide valuable information that is timely and relevant to your job.
- Set up Google Alerts as an easy way to have industry news delivered directly to your inbox.
Once you know the sources you want to utilize, schedule time in your day or your week to devote to staying current in your industry. Making it part of your routine will help you manage the constant changes that bring about new trends and tools to help us do even more for our clients.
How do you stay informed and learn new things in your field?