Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Google Glass….Cool or Creepy?



By: Susan Finco, President, Leonard & Finco Public Relations

I haven’t seen anyone wearing Google Glass yet but, since it’s in beta testing in what they call the “real world” (i.e. the West Coast), I’m sure it won’t be long before someone in the Midwest shows up with a pair. In case you’re not familiar with Google Glass, it’s eyewear, but not just any ol’ pair of branded eyewear.  This comes with an operating system and a miniature screen. You can take a photo or video via voice activation. You can see incoming email and notifications, etc.; just like your computer…only wrapped around your head. At the mind-numbing price of $1,500.

If it sounds like I’m anti-Google Glass, I’m not. But I’m not sure I’m a fan either. There is definitely the cool factor. Big geek on the block cool factor. Space-age cool. If it means I can quit toting around a laptop or IPad, that could be an advantage. On the flip side, all of us already spend way too much time tethered to our “devices;” constantly checking social media accounts, texting, etc. and failing to look people right in the eye and have a conversation. Of course, with Google Glass, now you can appear to look someone in the eye while actually reading your email. Maybe it does solve a problem….or creates a new one as multi-tasking reaches a whole new level of competition.

So, what’s your take? Cool or creepy? My verdict is still out…..but I have to admit, I wouldn’t mind testing a pair a long as I didn’t have to pony up $1,500 to do it.

No comments: