Wednesday, March 30, 2016

What I like about this presidential election


By: Susan Finco, President, Leonard & Finco Public Relations 

No, I haven’t lost my mind. (OK….I know some would argue that point!). This presidential election cycle is unlike any other. It is uglier, more mean spirited and more in the mud than any election I’ve ever seen.  There are candidates that scare the heck out of me. I hate the endless negative ads and robo calls.

However, there is one thing about this election that I do like: it has people talking and it has people involved. This is the first presidential election in a long time that I remember people actually discussing the candidates so early in the process. Generally, many ignore the whole thing until the candidates are decided because, let’s face it, in most years we know who the candidates will be long before the political conventions.

Now, you can argue that there is slim to no talk about the issues and I won’t disagree with you. But, you have to admit that, at least once a day (probably more often), someone in your life is going to make a comment or ask a question about the presidential race. No matter the party affiliation, or no affiliation, there are a lot of conversations going on. If nothing else, people are interested in the process. That is a very good thing. That’s what this country is all about. Now let’s hope all this discussion and debating actually results in people going to vote. That’s what I’d really like to see in this presidential election.

No comments: