Monday, December 30, 2013

Set Yourself Free in 2014! Banish the New Year’s Resolution List.



By: Susan Finco, President, Leonard & Finco Public Relations

OK, it’s that time of year. You know, the NEW YEAR. Some are saying, “Thank God, I want 2013 to be over.”  Others are saying, “Where did the past year go?” And then there’s the dreaded New Year’s resolution list. We read about it. We talk about it. Always sounds so good. Rarely does it turn out that way. Let’s face it, we’re all too busy to really tackle a long list of anything, much less a list of twenty things we want to personally improve upon in 2014. It’s kind of like the lottery; nice to dream about winning but it never actually happens.

Now, that doesn’t mean I’m anti-lists or anti-resolutions. Actually, I’m a list maker from way back. I always have a list or two going; usually one for work and one for more immediate things I need to do in my personal life. But, when it comes to tackling those BIG things meant for the New Year’s resolutions list, I’m more of a pick one thing and see how it goes kind of person. And I don’t like to share my goal either. Who needs one more thing to feel bad about if you don’t actually do it!?  So, my approach to the New Year’s resolution list is this:  pick a goal, take concrete steps on a regular basis to make it happen and, hopefully, it will stick. If not, there’s always next year!

So what’s your approach to New Year’s resolution lists? Yay or nay? No matter what your answer, here’s to a happy, healthy and successful 2014!

No comments: