Wednesday, June 27, 2012

2012 Olympic Apps


By: Kristen Paquet, Account Executive, Leonard & Finco Public Relations, Inc.

Only 30 days until the summer Olympics in London and I can’t wait. I love the Olympics. I love the sports, the pageantry, the tradition and all of the athlete back stories. It’s just an amazing two weeks – and I’m just watching it on T.V – imagine if you were lucky enough to be there! Well, with the help of two pretty cool mobile apps for the Olympics you can feel like you are.

Join In app: The official app of the 2012 games. This app, provides up-to-date event listings, includes searchable venue maps and provides live updates and news including a real-time view of the torch relay. As the games begin, you will also be able to get up-to-the minute results. If you’re lucky enough to be heading to London, you can create a customized schedule to help plan your experience. And as an added benefit, the app is also fully integrated with Facebook, Twitter and Four Square.

2012 Team USA app: This is another great app to stay connected to Team USA even before the games start. It provides live updates on who makes the team, includes athlete bios and photos and even has a “cheer” button where I can send my own message to an athlete’s Twitter feed, congratulating time for making the team.

A word of caution however; these apps, while great at keeping you connected, can also spoil your experience by giving you real-time results before you get the chance to watch it on TV, so use them wisely!

I’m really excited about what these apps can offer to enhance my Olympic watching experience. Traditionally, when the Olympics come around (summer and winter) my family watches the opening ceremonies while eating a dinner that is typical to the host country (bring on the fish and chips!). But this year, I’ll be even more connected - my phone lighting up like the Olympic torch!

Do you immerse yourself in all things Olympics? How will you watch the games this summer? Let me know!

No comments: