By: Susan Finco, President, Leonard & Finco Public Relations
How long have you been using social media? If your answer is “oh, forever,” then it’s time for a social media tune-up. Too often companies, and individuals, don’t take the time to do a thorough evaluation of their social media efforts on a regular basis. Sure, you might pull some metrics or take a look at the number of followers you have, but do you really know if your social media accounts are effective? Here are some quick tips for a quick tune-up:
- Revisit your original goals and objectives for each social media platform you’re currently using. Have your goals changed? Does the platform continue to meet those goals?
- Are you maximizing what your social media platforms can do for you? Effective social media requires more than an occasion written update. Platforms continually offer new ways to reach your target audiences, so check out what they can do and how you can maximize engagement.
- Are you up to speed on new forms of social media? Even if you’re not going to use a newer platform, like Pinterest, you need to at least have a general understanding about it and keep tabs on what it’s being used for. The one thing that’s constant in social media is that it constantly changes.
- Look into new measurement tools and metrics. Most social media platforms offer some form of analysis or evaluation. These measurement tools can change or are updated on a fairly regular basis. You need to know what they can – and can’t – do. A number of companies also offer measurement services but they can be pricey.
- Have fun with it! If you view social media as a chore; that’s what it will become. So if you’re now slogging through those updates, brainstorm what you can do to make things interesting and fun again. Believe me, if you’re not excited about what you’re doing, no one else will be either!